Every girl has that “go to” playlist that she bumps while getting ready for work, a date with bae, or before a night out. If you’re anything like me, you like a good mix of woke vibes, something for the grown and sexy, a touch of trap music and a dash of ratchet. So, I put together a list of 15 songs and artists that should be on your playlist. This list is sure to get your melanin pumpin’ and your bathroom jumpin’! (Don’t play! I feel like everybody listens to music, while in the bathroom mirror.) Either way, check out the list and get your Apple Music ready.
(BTW- These are in no particular order.)
1. Outer Limits by India Shawn ft. James Fauntleroy- We all know that James Fauntleroy’s voice is pure magic from listening to him on Drake’s “Girls Love Beyoncé”, but India Shawn’s voice is just as magical. Outer Limits makes me want to throw on a flowy sundress, big sunglasses and just soak up the sunlight. It’s guaranteed to make you feel good!
2. Get You by Daniel Caesar- Girl…. This song will definitely have you swoonin’, especially if you have a boo that’s doing all the right things. Even if you don’t, it’s sure to have you thinking about somebody special.
3. Do It Well by dvsn- This song gives me Frank Ocean vibes with Drake swag. It’s about a girl doing it so well that this man says she could bill him for it. That’s you, girl! You’re out here doing whatever you do and you do it well. Make sure this one’s on your favorites list!
4. All Ass by Migos- Sis… Listen. This is my DAMN song!!!! If you’ve never been to Magic City or Blue Flame, this song will definitely have you feeling yourself like you just got called to the stage. I love a good twerk song here and there, too! Whether you’re team small butt or a Big Booty Judy, this song will have you ready for a night out. Perfect for the pre-game. Thank me later!
5. Night Job by Bas ft. J. Cole- We work day and night, right? Bas and J. Cole send out nothing but good vibes with this hit. If you like good rap with chill vibes, this is a great song to listen to.
6. Foldin’ Clothes by J. Cole- Speaking of J. Cole, have you heard his new album? Foldin’ Clothes is the jam. Like he said in the song, “I wanna fold clothes for ya, I wanna make you feel good,”…. Two things that I love, not to mention a sick bass line.
7. Freedom by Beyonce ft. Kendrick Lamar- With everything that’s going on in the world, especially the madness currently taking place in these United States, we have to stay woke AND ready. What better way to stay fired up about the freedom we’ve been desperately fighting for?
8. Goosebumps by Travis Scott ft. Kendrick Lamar- I don’t know about y’all, but every time I put on a tight dress and beat my face, I want every man that sees me to get goosebumps. This song emulates that feeling. Plus, K. Lamar’s verse is hot, but what’s new?
9. FUBU by Solange- I know, I know, I know. Typical, right? Well, what kind of black girl blogger would I be if I didn’t put this on the playlist? This shit IS for us, right?
10. 2 Minute Warning by Twenty88- Big Sean and Jhene Aiko killed this, especially with the K-Ci & JoJo vocals in the background. Personally, this song is all I need when I’m on my way to see tall, dark and sexy. It’s also perfect for playlist and chill…
11. Both by Gucci Mane ft. Drake- It’s Gucci! What playlist is complete without Guwop? Not to mention, Drake is on the record and that’s ALWAYS a plus. Perfect song to listen to when you’re on both. I won’t disclose what both means, but if you’ve heard it, you already know.
12. Child’s Play by Drake- I know y’all didn’t think Champagne Papi wasn’t making the playlist. Is there a playlist the man isn’t on? This song is a testament to how it can be when we give bae a hard time. We have all dabbled in a little child’s play at some time or another. Bounce that shit like whoa and put this one on your playlist, sis.
13. On Fleek by Cardi B- As LHHNY royalty, Cardi B is one of my favs, so you know I downloaded Gangsta Bitch Music Vol. 1 to my Apple Music. If your hair, eyebrows, and booty are on fleek, turn this song up loud. Once you hear a Cardi B song, you’ll be listening to Cardi….foreva.
14. Redbone by Childish Gambino- I love this song! Donald Glover might be a musical genius. This is full of good vibes, whether riding, chilling or pre-gaming.
15. Blind Man by Xavier Omar- This one is new on my playlist, but the vibes are unbelievable. Play this one in a room of friends and I guarantee you’ll see heads bobbin’.
These are all feel good songs, in my opinion. One way or another, they’ll be pleasing to your ears and provide all the vibes you need to get your magic poppin'. Whether you’re getting ready for the turn up or setting the tone for the turn down, there’s something on this list that’ll do the trick.
Feel free to send in feedback on the songs you liked, didn’t like or suggestions on songs that you think we should be listening to. All good vibes are welcome!
Until next time, stay beautiful and protect your magic…