In honor of National Self Care Day and in addition to my Self Series, I wanted to share a special list of possible self-care practices that I think should be incorporated into every person’s routine. We spend a lot of time taking care of business, other people and to be quite honest, we rock it out every day! However, it’s really hard to pour into our families, friends and goals if we're not taking time to fill our own cups. I’ve been so busy lately that I have hardly been able to find the time to do one thing for myself, but I’ve been doing a lot better at reminding myself to do at least one thing a day. So, if you’re reading this today, I want you to choose something from this list (of from your own list) and do it! Treat yourself, sis. You deserve. Here are my top 15 self-care suggestions for National Self Care Day:
1. Start a compliment file about yourself, accept a compliment without rebuttal or compliment someone else.
-We all enjoy compliments, whether we want to accept it or not. Sometimes, when people compliment us, we shoot it out of the sky and discredit ourselves. Take a break from that today. Compliment someone else today, even if it’s something small. Accept a compliment with a simple thank you or smile if you receive one today or grab a sticky pad and write compliments to yourself from yourself.
- Even if it’s just 5 minutes of quiet time and breathing in slowly, take a few minutes to meditate. Be intentional when you do. If you want to go even deeper, light a candle, find a meditation playlist on Apple music (or whatever streaming service you use), then sit down and start meditating. Think positive thoughts. Don’t think at all if you don’t want to. Just breathe and exist. You’ll feel better after.
3. Say “No” to one task asked of you.
- Too often we find ourselves constantly saying “yes.” I’m guilty. I have a really hard time saying “No.” That’s how my plate ends up super full and it gets harder to find time for myself. Today, say “no” to at least one thing if you can. You don’t have to be rude or give an explanation. Simply decline.
4. Throw yourself a party.
- Turn on some music, grab a bottle of your favorite wine, get some take out and just dance (even if you’re really bad at it. No one’s going to laugh! You’re there alone!) Turn up all by yourself. Hell! Get a slice of cake too! What’s a party without cake?
5. Go for a walk.
- Take a few minutes and go for a walk. Even if it’s just around the corner and back. Take a little stroll. Sometimes, it can be a really intimate experience, especially if you decide to go walking in an area that you drive through often. It’s a completely different experience.
6. Call your bestie (or someone you love).
-Phone calls with my best friends don’t happen every day because we’re all busy. I have a 100 jobs/projects and both of my besties are working and raising their kiddos. We also live in different cities. When we finally get time to chat and catch up, I always feel refreshed. We “ke-ke” and tell each other what’s been going on and it’s always a great time. If you can visit with your besties, that’s even better. It doesn’t have to be your best friend, either. Call someone you love and catch up!
7. Journal your thoughts or write yourself a love letter.
- I use this blog as a way to get my thoughts out, but obviously, I can’t always share all of my thoughts. My journal is a great place to get it all out. You could also write yourself a love letter. This could really come in handy on the days when you’re feeling down or overwhelmed. Write your letter, put it in a safe place and then read it out loud later.
8. Take yourself on a date.
- Get dressed up, go out to eat or see a movie…by yourself! Eat something yummy and don’t forget to get a cocktail and/or dessert! Go window shopping (or real shopping if you’ve got it like that.) Buy yourself something nice. You deserve it. Today is all about you. No spouse, no kids, no one else besides yourself.
9. Put your phone down for an hour or longer.
-Don’t answer that. It can wait. Don’t post that on Facebook. It can wait. Your friends’ tweets and status updates aren’t going anywhere. Have a face to face conversation, do a fun project or just sit in silence. Whatever you do, do NOT pick up that phone.
10. Watch a comedy special.
-Yep, even if you’ve seen it already. Netflix has a few that are pretty good. Even better than that, you can buy a ticket and go to comedy show. It’s usually cheap, especially if you’re going to see a local comic. At best, you’ll get a few good giggles and laughter is good for the soul.
11. Do something you’ve been putting off.
-There’s something on your long ass to-do list that you’ve been avoiding. Do it. You’ll feel better when it’s out of the way.
12. Help someone.
-Do something nice for someone you don’t know. Don’t take a picture of it. Don’t post about it. Just do it. Even if you just pay it forward at the coffee shop.
13. Write a thank you note to someone.
-Even if it’s just a simple “thank you for being you”. You’ll feel good about it and you’ll brighten someone else’s day as well.
14. Purge your home or closet.
-Get rid of some stuff. Things pile up sometimes and the clutter can make you feel trapped. De-cluttering, purging or re-organizing can make you feel refreshed.
15. Bubble bath & chill
-Music or a podcast, a nice bubble bath or detox bath, and a glass of wine. That’s all you need. Soak in the vibes. Don’t do anything that looks like work. Just relax.
I hope there’s something on this list that you find and do today or sometime this week. You deserve your best love. Don’t forget to comment on this post and share what you did for International Self Care Day!
Until next time, treat yourself and protect your magic…..
Happy International Self Care Day, sis!